Re: [Xen-users] openSUSE 12.1 does not have complete xen rpms

>>> On 14.12.11 at 21:59, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nowhere in these threads is it mentioned the technical reasons why 32 bit
> support has been dropped. In fact, one poster in the discussion mentions a
> lack of knowledge of any other distro that supports 32 bit xen. I can confirm
> that fedora 16 still has the i686 rpms. I'm going to assume that suse is just
> trying to lighten the support load for a package that probably isn't getting
> a lot of use on 32 bit.

That's a correct assumption, albeit the entire dropping (rather than just
considering unsupported) of the 32-bit hypervisor was not fully intended,
but rather a consequence of code sharing with SLE11 SP2.

> But since 32 bit is all I've got on my suse machine, I went ahead and
> downloaded the .src.rpm for xen from the 12.1 repo, and recompiled it with
> minimal alterations to the .spec file controlling the compile and install.
> They indeed disable support for dom0, and a link at the end of the %prep
> section is needed to find the kernel-xen .config file. It compiled and
> installed fine. I'll reboot, and if I have any problems, I will do a follow
> up post.

The 32-bit kernel-xen, other than SLE11 SP2's, is still Dom0 capable
(more with the aim of allowing its use on a 64-bit hypervisor, though).

Jan