[Xen-users] Ethernet/iSCSI related System Crash (Xen dom0).

Hello everyone,

We are trying to set up a Xen System based on the latest stable vanilla
Linux Kernel (3.1.5) and hypervisor & tools (4.1.2).

When starting to test with the iSCSI target, we experienced (reproducable)
system crashes and immediate reboots in the initiator System (Xen dom0).

When afterwards trying to copy the domU System to a local disk drive, the
same crash happened ... so it's probably not really iSCSI related.

Some facts:
- crash during network IO.
  It happens reliably - just within minutes of using either iSCSI or NFS
- The whole system crashes and reboots.
  We can see there is a stacktrace on screen, but it's too quick to read.
- It happens in dom0. No domU needs to run to reproduce it.
- We tried with noacpi, nolapic - with the same result.
- When booting the same kernel without hypervisor it runs stable!
- The crash is reproducible on 2 different amd64 machines (see below).
- We are still using xm and xend (but that should not make any
  difference, since we don't start a single domU).
- The iSCSI target is LIO (Linux 3.1.5) with 4k blocksize.
- MTU 9000
- The Xen system seems to run stable without NFS or iSCSI access!

Hardware:
Tested on 2 machines:
- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
  on Asus K8V
    Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 13)
- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
  on Asus A8N-E (nforce4)
    nVidia CK804 Ethernet (rev a3)
  as well as:
    Intel 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet (rev 06)

We are testing on a gentoo system, but installed xen tools and hypervisor
from source, as well as the linux kernel.

We don't have any experience in kernel debugging - so I don't know if
there is a chance to grab the stack trace in any way.

Any suggestions about what we can do to get this thing stable? Or rather
on how or what to test to so we can provide more usable information?

Thanks in advance,
- peter.

--
Peter Gansterer