Re: [Xen-users] XCP, about Graphic Display

On 21.12.2011 21:46, Brett Westover wrote:
Hi, I am new to XCP.
I have already installed the XCP on my host, and created VMs successfully with
Xen Center. But the problem is, i can not see the VM's Graphic Display such as
Windows XP on my host(which installed the XCP)

I want to know, is there any method that I can see the VM's Graphic Display on
the host(which installed the XCP).
http://wiki.xensource.com/wiki/Xen_Cloud_Platform:_Access_to_VM_console, vnc
tunneling or XenCenter.
I found those instructions to be slightly in error.

On my XCP console, when I type: xenstore-ls
/local/domain/DOM-ID/serial/0 I only get the
"tty = /dev/pts/x" output, and NOT the vnc-port.

I changed that command to: xenstore-ls /local/domain/DOM-ID/console and
I get the vnc
port I need to use tunneling.

Tunneling works great because SSH and VNC are ubiquitous clients, so I
can get to the consoles
from just about anywhere.

On my main workstation though, I use XenCenter. Works for 95% of what I
need so far. The
console fills in the other 5% nicely.

Don't mix PV and HVM consoles up. PV 'console' is very specific way to declare serial port, not a 'display'. HVM do supports very slow emulation of S3 video card (graphics). I'm not sure if anyone anytime thought about implementing fast local graphic. May be PV drivers will hepls a little, but not much, because they don't support for any 2D/3D acceleration.

Display you getting in XenCenter enough to configure your server. If you need fast graphic - use RDP, VNC, ICA=Metaframe Presentation Server (it naming right now XenApp, it completely different technology from Xen and have nothing in common), radmin and so on. Those services must be configured inside virtual machine and 'how to do this' is not topic here (google://configure RDP).