Re: [Xen-users] snapshots (without lvm)

This isn't too helpful, but regarding (ii), dd
if=/path/to/domU/partition/or/disk.img
of=/path/to/drive/with/enough/space/to/store/a/copy.img bs=8M or the
like should do the trick for your disk, and just make a copy of your
domU config file.

There's also xm snapshot-create, but I'm not too sure how well (or
even how) that works.