[Xen-users] Can someone offer hints on how to take a xen domu based on redhat and make it a aws/ec2 instance?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Yossie Silverman <yossie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:56:30 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:28:04 +0000

I have a domu based on redhat running locally on a centos dom0.  This domu has
a secondary virtual drive mounted inside it.  It is made up of three LV's - /,
/usr/store, swap.

As preparation, and 'cause I am not sure how AWS handles the kernel and initrd,
I made sure to copy the kernel and initrd I use to the /boot in the lv that
houses /.  I also made sure that the ethernet interface has dhcp rather than a
static address.

It gets more complicated, the domu is designed to allow rlogin access for
admins rather than ssh (ssh takes you to the app admin interface.)  I suppose I
can open the appropriate firewall hole using the aws security interface.

I know how to create an aws instance from a public or even private aws ec2
image already on amazon (and how to create an image from a running instance.)
The questionsI have is how do I take these 2 (or 3) local LV's and produce an
image suitable for uploading to amazon to run there?  How do I then upload the
image(s) and run them?

Thanks - Yossie