Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] VGA passthough still not working

Am Dienstag, 24. Januar 2012, 16:15:29 schrieb Likarpenkov Alexander:
> TG> I was a bit un-percice regarding the "reboot" issue:
>
>  TG> The passing-through itself works even after a reboot of DomU - the
>  TG> rebooted System spits out its Graphics normaly through the
>  TG> passed-through Card (NVIDA or ATI doesnt matter here) ; BUT:
>  TG> After a reboot it doesn't work properly. Meaning:
>  TG> Slow 3d Performance, i.e.
>  TG> unsable for real 3d apps, even a 3d Desktop;
>  TG> For example, when the Card gives you 70fps in a Benchmark after a
> fresh TG> Cold Boot, it only gives you 5-10fps after a reboot, this will
> be that TG> low until you reboot Dom0 also, not only DomU;
>  TG> hopefully i described the scenario better now...
>
> I'm sorry. Errors are highlighted in red.
>
>  That is, situations as follows:
> - There is a certain group who are trying to make a vga pass, but not
> successed (unsuccessfully) - In the second group turned out, the
> performance on the second restart the deplorable
>
> I belong to the first group, but I use a pci pass and after 10-20 reboots
> the system does not lose the 3D performance.
>
> Question for Tobias Geiger:
> You do not deign to describe the process step by step is the setup and
> configuration xen-linux-systeM to a successful vga pass?

I'm of course deigning an answer (what a nice english word - didn't know that
before!) - here it is:

My Hardware:

Motherboard: DX58SO
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz

Dom0 kernel: 3.3.0-rc1
Dom0 gfx: 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce
9500 GT] (rev a1)

DomU OS: Windows 7 64bit
DomU gfx: 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Cayman XT
[Radeon HD 6970]

Step one: get xen working
i'm using the current unstable, but 4.1.X was also working;

hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg
make
make install

Step two: Prepare your Dom0 kernel - my .config for 3.3.0-rc1 is here:
http://pastebin.com/T74n3KVg

You need to find out your PCI-Ids to pass through - lspci does the job here;
my personal cmdline is:

ro root=/dev/sda1 ro selinux=0 xen-pciback.hide=(03:00.0)(03:00.1)(00:1d.0)
(00:1d.1)(00:1d.2)(00:1d.7) noirqdebug nouveau.modeset=1 security=apparmor

It passes through the ATI Card (3.00) and its HDMI controller (3.00.1) and one
USB Controller (1.0 and 2.0/ EHCI and OHCI)

Step three: Configure xen DomU config: - mine is here:
http://pastebin.com/4BJcfpw9
(CAUTION: insert valid uuid and mac!)

Step four: Fire it up and dont be irritated by the fact that you need to do
the initial windows setup within the VNC Screen - as soon as you install the
Catalyst Driver and reboot you should get output on your Physical Screen
attached to the passed through gfx card

IIRC thats it.

Dont fiddle with GPLPV Drivers - i dont know why but the performance is worse
with GPLPV drivers compared to "vanilla" windows drivers...

And dont try to install any soundcard (except a USB attached one) - the ac97
device emulated by the current qemu version has no valid driver for win7-64 -
we have to wait until upstream qemu is working with current xen, it brings a
emulated intel-hda card.

Step five may be important, otherwise you go crazy with the emulated mouse
within the vnc-screen: Install Synergy on domU and Dom0 ;)

Greetings and good luck!
Tobias