Re: [Xen-users] Intel CPU Comparison

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM,  <ray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to gain some idea of the XCP impact of these two CPU
> versions:
> Intel
> Core i7-2600, 3.4 GHz
> Core i7-2600K, 3.5 GHz
> Both have VT-x
> Differences
> 2600K does not include:
>  Embedded Opions Available
>  vPro Technology
>  Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O
>  Trusted Execution Technology
>
> Is the difference critical?

It depends.

What are your use cases? If it's just for a headless, common virtual
server setup, with remote access using rdp/vnc/whatever, then it
shouldn't matter.

Vt-d is important if you want to use pci or GPU passthru, but GPU
passthru is kinda hit-and-miss, with some hardware combination better
than others. Search the list archive for GPU passthru if you're
interested in this. If you're an average end-user, chances are you
won't be needing this.

vpro might be useful for remotely controlling the physical server, but
an IP-based KVM or server-grade motherboard with remote console
facilities can provide the same functionality.

As for others, just do some research. I'm not sure those capabilities
are even used by xenserver right now.

--
Fajar