Re: [Xen-users] Creating network bridge without IP address

Zoltan Lippai wrote:

So is it possible somehow to setup br0 on domain0 without it having an IP address?

Yes, it is very easy - but you have missed out two very important bits of information :
1) What OS/Distro are you using for Dom0 ?
2) How are you setting up the bridges ?

Using the network-scripts in Xen to setup bridges is deprecated in favour of using the OS tools to do it. In Debian it's as easy as putting this in your /etc/network/interfaces file :
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  bridge_ports peth0
  address 192.168.x.y
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.x.z

If you don't want an IP on the bridge, then simply omit the lines adding it, so you just have :
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  bridge_ports peth0

NB - for my setup, I've configured the NIC to have the name peth0 using the persistent rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. That allows me to call the bridge eth0 which means it looks just like a normal interface in scripts etc. At work where I have multiple bridges, I tend to use [p]ethint, [p] ethback, [p] ethext, and so on so it;s clear what each is connected to.

--
Simon Hobson