Re: [Xen-users] Announcing XenMaster

I'm reluctant to further a thread that's already off-topic, but two of these
sub-topics cause me considerable heartburn...

"reputation" is the operative word in your post.  Ii may or may not be
supported by facts.  Words like sluggish/fat/verbose are merely opinions
without supporting arguments (and I don't want to argue them here).

The choice of development language is the wrong debate anyway.  There are
plenty of examples of high-quality code written in Java, and you'll generally
find these are simple to install, easy to run, and perform well.  I've also
been forced to use Java code that produces frequent OOM errors, NPE exceptions,
deadlocks, etc.  But I doubt it's difficult to find good and bad examples of
just about any development language.

It may be that the average experience level of Java programmers is shorter than
for other languages, as someone else suggested.  That may be important to
understanding Java's reputation, but it's not important to the XenMaster
project.  I personally welcome the opportunity to work with another well
engineered, carefully designed OSS project regardless of choice of development
language.

BTW, please don't remind me what Oracle is or isn't doing with Java.  I've
heard it before.  Leave that discussion to the tabloids, not a technical user
forum.

> @XenMaster: I would have expected any current Xen management front-
> end/framework to make use of and help advaince the libvirt project.

Depends on the project's goals.  My understanding of libvirt is that it is
meant to be an abstraction layer to support Xen, KVM and other hypervisors.
That's not important if the project's sole focus is Xen/XCP.  Libvirt won't add
anything in that case, and it may in fact get in the way.  (My own, brief
experiments with libvirt involved installing packages, following the
documentation, troubleshooting libvirt and ultimately ignoring it.  Then
everything began to work.  It was clear the Xen packages I was using at the
time were more mature and/or fully tested than libvirt.  YMMV.)

-Jeff