Re: [Xen-users] Separate kernel on domU's

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM, eva <evammg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At this point I am a bit lost.

:D

Too much information for newbies, perhaps.

> I have searched information about this but it's still not clear to me.
>
> It seems that Xen hypervisor shares the kernel with domU's,

No.

domU can use the same kernel as dom0, and sometimes it can share the
same initrd as well.

> but this
> is not recommended because it makes it can easily mess it all up..

"easily" is a relative term, and some might not agree with that
statement, but IMHO yes.

> But, with an option through xen-tools you can create a domU with a
> separate kernel..

Probably. I don't use xen-tools.

>does that mean that uses a stub domain?

stub domain is another beast altogether. Better forget about that for now.

> I'd appreciate any hint about how Xen works here.

A good howto for Ubuntu domU installation is here:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Ubuntu_10.04_domU

Some of it should apply to debian as well.

--
Fajar