Re: [Xen-users] Separate kernel on domU's

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM, eva <evammg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Using the same initrd looks fine to me, but I using other parts of the
> kernel.. it looks like that you must really know what you doing or you
> will end up with a mess after an upgrade, for example.
>
> So in what cases would you do it and why?

Nowadays? Almost no scenario is worth the hassle. Seriously.

IIRC the main reason in that past was:
- to ensure you have a working domU (since you'll only be using kernel
and initrd from dom0, which presumably is well-tested by the admin)
- to NOT use pygrub (there was some security hole)

Just stick with pygrub/pv-grub, and use compatible /boot on domU (or
/, if you keep it all in one). Some old pygrub/pv-grub require you  to
use ext2/3 for /boot, while newer ones should handle ext4 just fine.

--
Fajar