Re: [Xen-users] Separate kernel on domU's

On Feb 27, 2012 8:51 PM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2012 3:55 PM, "eva" <evammg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > Thanks, your answer was very useful to me.
> >
> > I thought in xen kernels work separately, as it's shown in this
> > representation....
> >
> > https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-3466-30315/Xen.png
> >
> > but now it seems that you can set it up to share a few things. At this
> > point I was quite surprised.
> >
> > I just want to understand how xen works.. so why would you share the
> > kernel or parts of the kernel with another dom? Must be a good reason
> > to do it, I think.
> >
> > Using the same initrd looks fine to me, but I using other parts of the
> > kernel.. it looks like that you must really know what you doing or you
> > will end up with a mess after an upgrade, for example.
> >
> > So in what cases would you do it and why?
> >
> > Fajar tried to explain it a little, but I still don't fully understand it ..
> >
> > Thank you
> >

> Usually, domU's use a different kernel from dom0. But multiple domU's might share a single kernel image, stored in dom0.
>
> When starting a domU configured to use a kernel stored in dom0, dom0 will simply tell Xen to "boot using this file, and pass these parameters to the kernel".
>
> Benefits: Don't have to update domU kernels one by one, domU root can't overwrite the kernel in dom0, domU's can be forced to use a specific kernel, no need for a separate /boot partition, etc.
>
> Drawback: a buggy kernel shared by multiple domU's will impact many VMs at the same time.
>
> But it its perfectly acceptable also for domU's to have their own kernels; this allows Windows VMs, for example. In this situation, dom0 will tell Xen: This is the virtual hard disk. Please boot it from the MBR.
>
> Rgds,

Fajar's reply reminds me: There's a third way of booting using "pygrub" or "pv-grub" mechanism. It's kind of a hybrid between the two mechanisms I explained above.

In this case, dom0 tells Xen: here's the virtual hard disk, but you don't have to start from the MBR. The kernel you must boot is listed in grub's configuration file somewhere inside.

Rgds,