Re: [Xen-users] XCP & Openstack

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Eross <eross@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Has anyone had much success with XCP and Open Stack together?
>
> I'm in the process of putting together a open stack test cluster and I
> thought I might be able to use XCP dom0's for it.. but to be honest it
> doesn't look so good.
>
> I tried following these instructions on a separate XCP test machine:
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>
> At a first test run I couldn't get the instructions to work for some reasons
> I won't go into here, but before I spend too much time just fixing that, I
> wanted to ask if there's any better information resources available?

devstack works well with XCP:
https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/master/tools/xen

> Also, more to the point, what I really couldn't figure out from the wiki
> article above: Do you have to run this special domU open stack guest on
> every XCP machine in the cluster to make XCP work with Open Stack?

Yes.

> I hope
> not, otherwise that's quite a bit of over-head to get a server in the
> cluster!

There is a lot of benefit to this model, particularly in terms of
security and reliablity.

Take a look at slide 28 in particular:
http://www.slideshare.net/cloudstack/vbacd-xen-cloud-computing

Hope that helps.