Re: [Xen-users] Need technical support on Xen migration development

2012/2/29 Sha <pichu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Dear everyone,
>
> We are currently we are doing some research about Virtual Machine Migration,
> and I was redirected here when asking the community manager for help.
>
> What we know is that a VM running on Xen can be stored as *.chk, and that's
> how VM migration is done by Xen. Also, IBM PowerVM has its way of storing a
> VM. Our goal is to convert the *.chk file into the IBM PowerVM format, so
> the same guest OS (e.g. Linux) can be migrated from x86 to Power servers.
>
> Could anyone please give us some advice about the data structure of *.chk
> file, or where to find more reference? Any suggestion would be highly
> appreciated.

Short version: You can't.

Long version:
- xen runs on x86 (well, mostly on x86), while powerVM runs on Power
CPU architecture
- those two cpu architectures are binary incompatible
- For migration purpose, you need to install the new OS with the
correct arch, then migrate the config

--
Fajar