[Xen-users] Announcing OpenXCI, a 100% free desktop hypervisor

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andrew Warkentin <andreww591@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 16:10:31 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:11:56 +0000

I am currently working on a free desktop hypervisor based on the XCI toolstack from XenClient 2 (minus the proprietary components, of course), Xen 4.0.1, and Debian 6.0. Unlike XenClient and NxTop, OpenXCI will be intended for individuals wanting a high-performance alternative to dual-/multi-booting and hosted virtualization, rather than companies wanting remote provisioning (no support for remote management other than an SSH server on Dom0 will be implemented).

Graphics passthrough (both primary and secondary) for AMD and Intel GPUs will be supported. Like XenClient, OpenXCI will use lightweight graphics and input servers as well as a UIVM (rather than a Dom0 X server like NxTop). Unlike XenClient, OpenXCI will not use filtered/mediated passthrough because it is extremely hardware-specific (XenClient's AMD GPU support is only compatible with a few models of HP laptops and is somewhat unstable because of its use of filtered passthrough). Instead, it will use direct passthrough for one domain and display all other domains with a viewer running on the passthrough domain. When no other passthrough domain is running, the graphics drivers will run on the UIVM.

At the moment, I have graphics and input servers that mostly work. The graphics server only supports VNC (with a TigerVNC client patched to hide itself when the passthrough domain is focused and show itself when another domain is focused) to display non-passthrough domains right now, but I am going to add a "reverse graphics adapter" device that uses shared memory to send the displays of other domains to the passthrough domain. I am currently using a more or less stock Debian 6.0/Xen 4.0.1 system with my graphics and input servers (as well as the corresponding qemu patches and a qemu wrapper script that passes the appropriate options to qemu because the xend toolstack doesn't support them) as my hypervisor at the moment.

I am going to upload everything I have done so far to the OpenXCI Sourceforge project (http://sf.net/projects/openxci/) shortly. I will also be post updates of my progress on my blog (http://andreww591.blogspot.com/).

Anybody here who is interested is welcome to contribute.