Re: [Xen-users] xend future

On 03/21/2012 10:49 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 21:58 +0000, Mario wrote:
Hey everyone, I was wondering, since xend will finaly be removed in the
next major release, what will the future be like for us who use its
XML-RPC features? Is there going to be some other way to do it, for
example adding xml-rpc support into libxl, or should I simply start
porting all my scripts over to libvirt?

The best options for replacing xend here are either libvirt/virtd or
xapi.

I guess you already know about libvirt.

The XML-RPC interface exposed by xapi is a descendant of that used by
xend, although I'm not sure how much they have in common nowadays. Might
potentially make porting somewhat simple I guess (just a guess though).

You can get xapi either via the traditional XCP route or it is also now
available in Debian and Ubuntu as a result of project Kronos. Project
Zeus[2] is in progress to add it to Fedora etc.

Ian.

[0] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_Introduction
[1] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Project_Kronos
[2] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Project_Zeus_Fedora_Spec

Well, I would usualy consider Xapi since it's directly related to Xen, however, because it is "distro-locked" in such a way that there has to be a fork per distro doesn't really seem like the right choice to me. I suppose it has to be like that if its just a hack to make XCP work on classic distro's? Or am I mistaken?

mario