Re: [Xen-users] HVM on 3.2 kernel hdd speed issue

On 1 April 2012 01:33, Mario <mario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> up untill recently I have been using gentoo-rebased xen patches for 2.6.34
> kernel line, and it has been working fine. Recently i have decided to
> upgrade few of my dom0's to 3.2 kernel, and everything seems fine except for
> the linux guests in HVM mode. Drive read and write is painfuly slow, yet
> windows guests on that same configuration (or any other variation) give
> normal/expected results. Paravirtual linux guests do not seem to be
> affected, and i have tried both 2.6 and 3.2 kernels on hvm guests but there
> was no difference. Xen version = 4.1.2 stable.
> Is there anything that I might be missing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> mario

Hi Mario,

Are you using PVonHVM for your Linux guests? QEMU emulated disks aren't fast..
Check that you have xen_platform_pci=1 in your config file to make
sure PV drivers are enabled.

Are you using Gentoo guests too? Make sure you compile in the Xen
drivers if that is the case.
I am running many Gentoo 3.2.1 guests in PVHVM mode with excellent
disk and network performance (60k IOPs, 600mb/s+ sequentials)

Joseph.

--
Founder | Director | VP Research
Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au | Phone: 1300 56