Re: [Xen-users] Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x

On 3 April 2012 06:14, Luke S. Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 04:47:53AM +1000, Joseph Glanville wrote:
>> On 2 April 2012 23:10, Peter Braun <xenware@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > It depens on budget and purpose.
>> >
>> > If your budget is low than you should definitely look at Infiniband.
>> > You can get Mellanox or Qlogic IB 10/20 or even 40Gbps adapters at
>> > unbelivatle prices. Just yesterday I spotted 40Gbps dual Qlogic
>> > adapter for 200USD and 10Gbps dual card is easy to get for 20USD.
>> >
>> > For small deployment it would be perfect option and i do not mention
>> > other advantages of Infiniband (lower latency, bigger throughput etc.)
>> >
>> > I think Infiniband popularity will rise rapidly with Windows 8 because
>> > will have full support.
>>
>> I love Infiniband and we use it extensively. :)
>>
>> However this doesn't answer his question unless Qlogic or Mellanox
>> have released SR-IOV Infiniband drivers without telling me!
>
> Long before SR-IOV there was infiniband passthrough to PV xen guests.
> I don't know if it's still included in Xen or if it works with full
> HVM guests, but it was there at one time.

Alas it's been non-function for a very long time. :(
Smart-IO was one of the first projects but it was insecure and not
really fully functional, there was also another Infiniband PV project.
I am interested in hacking on this along with PVSCSI in the future.

--
Founder | Director | VP Research
Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au | Phone: 1300 56