Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Unable to boot installation ISO
From: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, April 04, 2012 12:49 pm
To: john@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK,

this is the test I've just done for you.
dom0:
3.3.0-gentoo kernel x86_64
app-emulation/xen-4.1.2
app-emulation/xen-tools-4.1.2-r2

domU installation:
ISO image: install-amd64-minimal-20120216.iso
I see you used a physical device. It should not be different.

I create the filesystem image using dd:
dd if=/dev/zero of=gentoo.img bs=1024k count=1 seek=15360

So, now I have three files in my domU directory:
gentoo.cfg gentoo.img install-amd64-minimal-20120216.iso

And this is the content of gentoo.cfg:
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 1024
shadow_memory = 8
name = "gentoo"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:02, bridge=xenbr0' ]
acpi = 1
apic = 1
disk = [ 'file:/path/to/gentoo.img,hda,w',
'file:/path/to/install-amd64-minimal-20120216.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
boot="dc"
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncconsole=1
vncpasswd=''
stdvga=1
videoram=16
keymap="it"

serial='pty'
usbdevice='tablet'

Then I do xl create gentoo.cfg
xl vncviewer gentoo

(in this case vnc crashes - I didn't understand why yet - and
I have to re-run xl vncviewer gentoo)

and I can access to the minimal live gentoo and proceed with
the domU installation

Cheers,

Flavio