[Xen-users] What am I Missing, Part 1

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 05:50:51 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 12:52:11 +0000

Xen and XCP seem like they should be a suitable tool and I would really
like to learn how to use it.

There seems to be a fundamental difficulty in implementing an instance -
documentation.

Repeatedly, there are posts in this forum where an individual or group
are looking deep inside the software for solutions to a specific
difficulty and come up with maybe something that will work for some
instances.

For open software, it  would seem that a major pursuit would be to fully
expose all features and the methods to exploit them in a single instance
of documentation.

I have read two books on Xen, The Book of Xen and Running Xen.  Both
give general philosophy and some specific alternatives to feature and
method implementations.  While The Book of Xen gives a good
philosophical view, it is dated on features and details.  I have been
through the Xen wiki many times but there are major difficulties:  It is
really difficult to tell for what version any particular page addresses
and whether it is the most up to date or even if there are other
viewpoints.

I fully understand that documentation is extremely difficult.  It at
least takes a plan, organization and maintenance.  The repeated Document
Day is great.  I would like to learn how I might help, which will be a
challenge because I know very little about Xen, none the less Linux.

Many software and engineering projects base the design on requirements
management.  As such, there is always a link from intent and realization
(along with many other advantages).  I wonder if there is such a
management tool in place here.

Ray Joseph, PE
832 586-5854
ray@xxxxxxxxx