[Xen-users] PCI Hotplugging - Could I juggle a video card and other devices between running DomUs?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:58:37 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:59:42 +0000

Hello List!

As I venture a little further down the Xen rabbit hole, I've gotten
myself wondering: could I script the use of "xm pci-attach" and "xm
pci-detach" such that I can shift all of my difficult-to-virtualize
PCI devices, such as video card[s], USB controllers, audio devices,
and so on, from one running DomU to another?  Give myself a button or
key combination---of which the guest OS is aware, so that it may
initiate the process---to switch my hardware from one VM to another on
the fly, implementing what would behave like a software-based KVM
switch (but without the exponentially rising costs associated with
getting more ports, dual-link DVI/Displayport, and so on... not to
mention requiring multiple machines :D).

Could I potentially effortlessly switch between Windows, Linux, and
perhaps a Hackintosh?  That would be quite the awesome application of
cutting edge tech, I say :)

Curious if anyone has experience with attaching/detaching these types
of devices, and whether or not guest OSes and their drivers, play nice
with this feature.

Thanks,
Andrew Bobulsky