Re: [Xen-users] update-rc.d: warning: xencommons

Well, that makes perfect sense. I just figured it was strange that all previous revisions of Xen 4.2-Unstbale gave a warning at xencommons only, and the latest one gives you a lot more warnings and with all 4 init scripts. But, will just ignore that as well.

First, I got the same errors when I ran update-rc.d, second I ignore them and I will explain why, but Third you do not have to re-run update-rc.d every Xen reinstall.

To explain why I ignore them, if you have tried installing Xen on a fresh system and rebooting without running update-rc.d the four scripts do not execute and your toolstack and various features are not running.

You can manually run them, update-rc.d is the tool that tells them to execute at boot, and the numbers you pass tell it the order.

In conclusion, I ignore them because if the command did not work and the scripts either A) Did not Load, or B) Loaded out of order; then you would not have a functioning Xen system. Simple as that.

As far as not having to run update-rc.d everytime, the Xen installer does not run those commands for you, so when you uninstall it does not undo those commands either.

When you run the command, it adds a record in the system saying "Run file X located in /etc/init.d/ at boot time." Uninstalling Xen does not remove those records, if you reboot after uninstalling Xen you'll notice four errors with the missing files. No harm done, just unnecessary attempts to execute non-existent scripts.

Point in case, unless they change the names of the four scripts, you can run the update-rc.d command once, and anytime you reinstall Xen the scripts are put back in the same location, and run automatically.

I hope this helps answer at least some of your concerns, but I don't exactly know all that much about update-rc.d, I just know that the numbers are a representation of importance, hence xencommons loads sooner than the rest. Perhaps some change in Wheezy's numeric representations is creating the warning, but I haven't bothered investigating since as stated it works.

~Casey