Re: [Xen-users] No dom0 display with Fedora 16 3.3.5-2 kernel

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 08:45 -0400, John McDermott CIV wrote:
> Xen Users,
>
> Just checking to see if this problem has already been reported as a bug:
> Fedora 16 running kernel 3.3.5-2.fc16.x86_64 on Xen 4.1.2 (installed from
> Fedora RPMS) will not run the GUI display on the local hardware console. Both
> Xen and the dom0 kernel boot and everything else works, e.g. you can manage
> Xen using xl over SSH and run guests with full GUI.

So you mean you can't run X on Dom0, is that right? If yes, that's
weird, as I'm sending this e-mail right after rebooting my SandyBridge,
FC16-backed laptop, into that configuration (i.e., latest Linux and
Latest Xen packages which are the one you're reporting)... And yes, I'm
using Evolution in Gnome3 after logging in a GDM graphical session! :-P

> I installed an earlier kernel, 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64, and it does not have this
> problem. Also, the 3.3.5 kernel console GUI works fine on bare metal, so this
> is not a display misconfiguration and does not appear to be a Xen problem.

Well, I see, but I'm not sure what it could be then, as it is working
here. What hardware are we talking about? What kind of error are you
seeing? What do stuff like /var/log/Xorg.0.log and similar say?

> Has anyone on the list either made kernel 3.3.5-2.fc16.x86_64 boot up with a
> local display or already reported this to RedHat as a bug?

As said, I am running it correctly. Also, I would be rather pointless to
file a bug about FC16 as of now, with FC17 coming out in _days_ :-)

Hope to have been of some help,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, Ph.D, http://retis.sssup.it/people/faggioli