Re: [Xen-users] Best way to differentiate between virtual servers and non-virtual servers

jinho hwang wrote:

I always wanted to know whether my machine is virtualized or not. Also, my current project wanted me to find a way to do it.

I'm sorry, but I really really have no idea what you are trying to achieve.

For machines under my control (ie those I set up or administer) then I know if they are real or virtual - it's rather obviously a different process to setup a machine on bare metal compared with setting one up as a virtual machine.

For machines I'm not responsible for, then it's not my business and I probably have no need to know !

So, just what is it that you want to know about ? What is "my machine" ? Why do you need to know ?

To give some examples ...

a) You are renting "web hosting" somewhere.
You are only renting the web hosting, as long as it works to an acceptable level of performance then you have no need to know. There should be nothing related to it being real/virtualised which in any way affects your ability to host your site.

b) You use a shared computer in the office.
Again, as long as it provides the facilities/runs the applications your employer needs your to use then it makes no difference to you whether it's a real or virtual host.

c) You have your own computer and are trying to do something with it.
An example where it makes a difference might be running a MythTV backed with TV tuners (which can be an issue when virtualised). However, if you cannot tell the difference just by watching the boot messages then you have much bigger issues than just knowing which type of machine you are using.

--
Simon Hobson