[Xen-users] pygrub: reboot causes on_poweroff instead of on_reboot

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Wesley W. Terpstra" <wesley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:38:00 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:20:24 +0000

Good evening!

I recently switched to using PyGrub to boot my domUs using their own
internal kernel and boot preference. Before I was using manual
"kernel+initd" options in the domu.sxp, both located in the dom0
file-system, I really appreciate this separation of concerns. While
the host boots correctly and I can select the kernel from "xm
console", the behaviour on reboot has changed.

My domu.sxp files contain:
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

Before I switched to pygrub, "xm reboot domu" or "ssh domu reboot"
would trigger the on_reboot rule and restart the system. "xm shutdown
domu" or "ssh domu shutdown" would trigger the on_poweroff rule and
destroy the domu, ready to be "xm create"d with a new sxp.

After I switched to pygrub, "xm reboot domu", "ssh domu reboot", "xm
shutdown domu", and "ssh domu shutdown" all trigger the on_poweroff
condition. Since the administrators for the domu systems need to be
able to reboot their machines without access to the dom0, this
presents a problem---they can't "xm create" the host to restart them.

As a work-around, I have set on_poweroff = 'restart'. However, that is
not ideal either, because when I change a domu.sxp file, I used to be
able to "xm shutdown" and "xm create" to load the changes. Now, I must
"xm shutdown" and carefully time a "xm destroy" after the system
finishing quiting.

I am running:
Debian squeeze
dom0 kernel 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
domU kernel 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
xen-hypervisor + xen-utils 4.0.1-4
xen-tools 4.2-1
... my pygrub comes from the xen-utils debian package, version 4.0.1-4.

Is this a known bug? Is there a good work around?

Thanks for the help!
Please CC me in your replies.