Re: [Xen-users] HVM vs PV - conversion

On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 06:48 +0100, fpt stl wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I would like to know how one can identify if a DomU is PV or HVM? Any
> docs which may indicate a way to find out?

tools/misc/xen-detect.c in the Xen source contains code which can do
this. You mght also find virt-what
( http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-what/ ) useful.

> I have a CentOS 5.5 64bit DomU which might be HVM - how can this DomU
> can be made PV?
> Just stop the DomU, and then delete it using Virtual Machine Manager
> and the create another config file for a PV DomU and use xm new and
> then xm start?
>

> Let's say I have a config file like: [for a HVM DomU]
[...]
> Just changing the config file to something like:

[...]

"Something" like that, yes (I mean it looks correct at a first glance).

You'd want to ensure that the in-guest grub configuration pointed to a
Xen PV aware kernel. An easier first pass might be to use the dom0
kernek with  kernel=/ramdisk=/extra= instead of bootloader=.

> Is it a way to convert a config.sxp into a "xm" config file like the
> one above?

Other than by hand I don't know of one.

Ian.