Re: [Xen-users] cannot boot guest VM

On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 14:32 +0100, Thanos Makatos wrote:
> When I try to see what goes wrong with pygrub (pygrub <image-file>), I
> get the following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "/usr/local/bin/pygrub", line 822, in <module>
>
>     raise RuntimeError, "Unable to find partition containing kernel"
>
> RuntimeError: Unable to find partition containing kernel

> Does this mean that something went terribly wrong during the
> installation?

I'd be more inclined to suspect something is wrong with pygrub.

BTW, you have /usr/local/bin/pygrub which is a bit odd, I'd expect
either /usr/bin/pygrub or /usr/lib/xen.../bin/pygrub depending on howup
to date your xen-unstable is. Do you have multiple copies of pygrub on
your system?

What does fdisk say about your partitions? Is one of them marked
bootable? I think "fdisk -l /path/to/img" will tell you...

BTW -- you can drop the "extra" line when using pygrub.
[...]
> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... mount: mounting /dev
> on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
>
> done.
>
> mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
>
> mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
>
> Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init.
>
> No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

This is because when replicating pygrub manually as well as extracting
the kernel + initrd you need to pull the command line out of the guest's
grub cfg and include it as the "extra" line in your cfg.

Ian.