Re: [Xen-users] the simplest example to start

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Massimo Canonico <mex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe my problem could be summarized with this question: how can I run a VM
> by using ttylinux image (or other minimal linux distro)?

Why not follow the official documentation?
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Beginners_Guide

It's actually better to read that if you're a beginner. Or if you like
redhat-based distros, see RHEL5's virtualization guide:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Virtualization/index.html

I have a somewhat custom, minimal linux kernel + initrd, based on
busybox, without the need of a disk image. But I wouldn't recommend
that for beginners. Why, you may ask? Because it's not worthed:
- you need either a specially-compiled kernel (with essential modules
built-in), or hijack an existing distro's kernel (which is usually
bloated, thus not really useful for "minimal" setup
- busybox's udhcpc doesn't work. Or at least, my version keep on
failing with checksum errors (static ip works fine though)

If your concern is "I don't want to download a big ISO file", then use
a small linux distro (like floppyfw, which comes in a 10M-iso or a
floppy disk image), and use the example from the first link to create
a HVM domU (i.e. the type of guest needed for non xen-aware OS,
including windows and floppyfw).

--
Fajar