Re: [Xen-users] xen multi remote desktops

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Eric Lindsey <eslindsey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:20:47 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 19:22:00 +0000

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but this could also be accomplished from
within Xen, which is probably what the OP was looking for:

>From the domain.cfg file:
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=x' ]
This allows you to connect to VNC viewer on dom0's IP address, port 5900+x.

So you have 4 virtual machines, with one of these vfb lines in each:
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=1' ]
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=2' ]
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=3' ]
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=4' ]

This would allow you to connect a VNC viewer to the same IP address,
one each on ports 5901, 5902, 5903, 5904.

It should be noted that this provides no password (though one could be
added with ,vncpasswd=xyz after the vncdisplay=x), but more
importantly, no encryption even IF you add password authentication.
So you should use an SSH tunnel to connect to these ports instead of
opening up these ports to the public Internet.

See also:
http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Configuring_a_VNC_based_Graphical_Console_for_a_Xen_Paravirtualized_domainU_Guest