Re: [Xen-users] Can't ping guest, but guest can ping me.

Am Donnerstag, den 05.07.2012, 16:11 -0400 schrieb Zach Al-Nasser:
Hello all, I'm new to xen and this mailing list, so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong.

I've been running xen for a few weeks now on an Ubuntu 12.04 server. I've got 3 guests: a Windows Server 2003 guest, an Ubuntu guest, and a Windows 7 Guest. My Server 2003 guest seems to work fine; I can ping it from the network, the hostname resolves correctly, and it can see the internet. This guest is attached to xenbr0, and its IP is 10.100.1.21.

My Win7 guest is what is driving me crazy. I use the same configuration script as a base, changing the important parts (hostname and boot disk, mainly). It installed correctly, and is currently running, but I am unable to ping this guest. It's hostname is "alexander", with an IP of 10.100.1.22. It is also using xenbr0. The guest can ping the firewall and various IP addressess, but seems unable to resolve hostnames.

Now heres the weird part: when I use rdesktop (RDP client) from my laptop (not the xen host) to connect to alexander, it works just fine. It apparently resolves the hostname fine, and does the same with the IP address.

So, can someone tell me why I can access this guest using RDP, but not using ping, nslookup, traceroute, etc? It's apparently invisible to all but RDP. Also, is it okay to use two guests on the same bridge, or do i need different ones for each guest?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Check if the MAC addresses of the VIF's. the virtual interfaces are unique. If this is already done, try to disable TX checksumming on the host interface your xenbr0 is bound to.
e.g. ethtool -K eth0 tx off
If you're using xennet interfaces inside your Win7 guest (james harpers GPLPV drivers or the signed ones from univention), you might want to try disabling the offload settings in the drivers settings panel.