Re: [Xen-users] Xen 10GBit Ethernet network performance (was: Re: Experience with Xen & AMD Opteron 4200 series?)

Hey Joseph,

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Joseph Glanville <joseph.glanville@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]

In terms of Linux bridging module performance... I can easily do 20
odd gigabits between VMs on the same host and can push around 13
gigabits between hosts (40gig infinbiand).
It's worth noting that with both OVS and the bridge module you will be
limited by PPS (packets per second) rather than throughput.
With very big MTUs ( I am using 64k over IB ) one can do many
gigabits, but using 1500 byte MTUs throughput drops below 3gigabits.
This is due to the max throughput of the both the linux bridge module
and OVS on a single core maxes out a a few 100k PPS.

What version of Xen and which distros are you using for dom0/domU?
And what hardware are you using?
Did you measure plain dom0 to dom0 performance over your infiniband connection(s)?

I am still digging for the limiting bottleneck/ issue with dom0 to dom0 performance over 10GBit Eth on my boxes.

Regards, Linus