[Xen-users] Xen processor time scheduling

My apologies if this question has been asked/answered elsewhere/previously.

I'm using XCP 1.1, Xeon E7-2860 processors (10 cores with HT).  My question is, is it more efficient in terms of scheduling of processor time to allocate fewer Vcpu's to a given domU guest?  A year or two ago I had read that with a VMWare product (don't recall specifically which, but a type 1 hypervisor), the way the hypervisor allocated cpu time amongst the guests was such that if you allocated > 1 Vcpu's the host needed to have exactly that number of physical cpus/cores available at that time, if not then that guest got skipped until the next rotation.  Therefore VMWare's best practice recommendation was to always start your VM's with 1 Vcpu, only increase if necessary.

Also seemed odd to me that they designed it as such because in my production environments 1 Vcpu is rarely adequate.

Also, performance peaks at 8 Vcpu allocation, anything beyond that and performance steadily declines.

--

John Buchanan | SIS Systems Administrator III | Infinite Campus, Inc | 4321 109th Ave NE, Blaine, MN | 763-795-4337