[Xen-users] Storage Resource RAID & Disk type

Are there any best practice recommendations on RAID & disk type for the shared storage resource for a pool?  I'm adding shelves to a HP MSA2000 G2, 24 drives total, minus hot spare(s).  I can use 600GB SAS drives (15k rpm), 1TB or 2TB Midline SAS drives (7200rpm).  I need about 3TB usable for roughly 30 VM guests, 100GB each, web servers so I/O needs are nominal.

I'm also going to need to get 4TB usable space for a SQL Server data volume out of those 24 drives, unrelated to the VM boot volumes, hence my quandary.

If anyone has virtualized 20-30 VM web servers on a midline SAS or SATA based storage resource I'd love to hear if performance was adequate.  Going that route would easily meet my capacity requirements.

-John

--

John Buchanan | SIS Systems Administrator III | Infinite Campus, Inc | 4321 109th Ave NE, Blaine, MN | 763-795-4337