Re: [Xen-users] Storage Resource RAID & Disk type

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Errol Neal <eneal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd also recommend that you diversify your storage pools and have some
> variety for different i/o types and sizes. For example, depending upon the
> profile of your database (data warehouse, transactional, etc), I'd isolate it
> on it's own distinct storage pool.

+1 on this.

i've seen several times where a big honking SAN device with lots and
lots of expensive options delivers so bad performance just because
different load types are all mixed together without any
administration.

me: it seems you have storage latency issues
them: that's not possible, this is the best storage system
me: for this kind of I/O, it could be better (and cheaper) to use local drives
them: no way, everybody knows that Fiber is the fastest
me: FiberChannel can't do magic, you have fast drives, but no
priorization. if you separate different servers on different storage
devices, you'd have better performance
them: this box has enough capacity for all our servers and Fiber is the fastest!

--
Javier