[Xen-users] Nvidia: card fails to work in EITHER dom0 or domU -- any advice?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Brian Johnson <bjthinks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:37:23 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:39:03 +0000

Hi all,

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 that I'd like to use in a Xen configuration.  I don't care if it's used by dom0 or by a linux domU guest, either would be OK for my purposes.  Since getting this card, I've experimented with Linux 3.4.6 and Xen 4.1.2 and determined the following:

1. The card works correctly under a linux kernel without Xen running.

2. The Nvidia proprietary drivers do not function in a dom0 setting, because PAT is disabled in the dom0 kernel.  The driver detects this and refuses to run.

3. Using PCI passthrough to a domU linux VM does not work either -- the Nvidia proprietary driver does not recognize the card in the guest.  Not sure why, but I suspect some resource the card uses is not being passed through correctly.  (I can pass an AMD card to a domU without problems.)

I know that the Nvidia proprietary driver doesn't officially support Xen, so getting it to work in dom0 might be futile, even if the PAT issue is resolved.  So my main hope is to get passthrough to a guest working correctly.  Any suggestions?  Is Xen 4.2 more likely to work for my use case?

(The nouveau driver is not an option for me because I require OpenGL 3.2+ features, and last I checked, it doesn't support the GTX 680 anyway.)

Brian