Re: [Xen-users] Sharing entropy across VMs

  • To: Xen-users <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 20:57:28 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 20:58:46 +0000

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:53:08PM +0200, Mark van Dijk wrote:
> Short question: is it possible to share entropy across all VMs and how
> can this be done?

I have been doing it with an Entropy Key:

http://www.entropykey.co.uk/

They have packaged software for Debian and Ubuntu which includes a
daemon called ekeyd. ekeyd would usually be configured to stuff the
entropy it gets from the key into the kernel's entropy pool, but you
can configure it instead to serve the entropy out using the EGD
protocol.

They also have a modified EGD client called ekeyd-egd-linux which
talks to ekeyd over the network and stuffs that entropy into the
local kernel entropy pool.

So, ekeyd-egd-linux on each client machine, talking to ekeyd on one
or more hosts with entropy keys.

It's a pity that there seems no way within Xen to get the entropy
from the dom0 kernel into each domU. KVM has this feature doesn't
it? That would save me having to run an ekeyd-egd-linux on each
domU.

Cheers,
Andy

--