Re: [Xen-users] Setting up XEN domU causes RAID5 to fail?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:13:28 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:12:08 +0000

On Mon, September 17, 2012 4:11 am, Tony Lill wrote:

> When I tried to upgrade my xen systems to a pvops xen/linux combo, I
> found that high disk I/O would cause disk errors and caused disks to
> be thrown out of the raid and all sorts of other badness. High of
> course, is a relative term. For one of my boxes, copying a large file
> was enough, on another, it needed something like running backups on
> several VMs simultaneously or trying to start my VM's while rebuilding
> the raid.
>
> FWIW, I went back to Xen 3.4.4 and the SLES1 xenlinux kernel and
> they've been rock solid.

This could be related to Xen version, but can also be related to the use
of desktop-drives in a RAID-configuration.
Linux Software raid is more tolerant than hardware raid, but it still
doesn't like it if a disk dissappears/fails/acts up and will then kick it
out.

I'm surprised there are no messages in the logs as I have always seen at
least a message from the raid-stack when a disk was thrown out.

Are those drives SMART-compliant? If yes, try running a self-test on those
drives to see if there are any detectable problems.

Other possible cause: The PSU can't handle the load of all the drives and
the CPU going full speed.

You could also try to do some heavy load on those drives by simultaneously
copying "/dev/zero" to each of the drives.

--
Joost