Re: [Xen-users] sparse to no sparse

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Mark van Dijk <lists+xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting Fajar A. Nugraha's message from 27 sep 2012:
>>On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Paras pradhan
>><pradhanparas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have an old Xen para virt vm which I created using sparse file. Is
>>> there any way to convert this vm image to non-sparse without shutting
>>> down the vm?.
>>
>>No.
>>
> Can't you fill it up with zeros and then delete the file? i.e. on the
> domu, dd if=/dev/zero of=null.tmp; rm null.tmp.

AFAIK some fs will bomb out before you actually fill all space. So
with that method the resulting backend might still be slightly sparse.
It's not recommended anyway, as there's a possibility that during that
process applications on the domU can go haywire since it can't write
data to disk (out of space errors).

--
Fajar