Re: [Xen-users] Xen linux and gaming box

Windows recognizes the drive as an SSD, since it turned off defrag automatically for just that drive.  I don't know if GPLPV has anything to do with it, if it turned off defrag maybe it's Windows/NTFS taking care of TRIM?

There are a lot of factors involved, remember it is running on a Logical Volume partition which is handled by LVM, so it's not all about the drivers.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>       2) What is the best disk performance I can get with a windows 7
> DomU? Pass a controller though or just share it with dom0 and maybe
> another domU.
>
> 2. You said SSD for your host, are you planning to use LVM on the SSD or on a
> regular HDD?  I use an OCZ Vertex 3 with LVM, and a logical volume for
> Windows.  Windows Experience Index was 6.6, but after installing GPLPV
> drivers jumped to 7.7 and performs at near-native speeds.  I would imagine
> similar results from HDD performance.

GPLPV doesn't (yet?) support trim/unmap/discard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM) so write performance on SSD may not be as good as it could be.  I'm not sure of the exact impact in terms of overall performance though. The Wikipedia article says that modern SSD's still perform well without TRIM but their lifespan may be reduced.

James