Re: [Xen-users] How to auto-start Guests when using 'xl' toolstack? 'old' configs in /etc/xen/auto/ are ignored without xend service active.

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 02:04 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-10-06 at 06:11 +0100, ar16@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > What's execing the scripts you have in /etc/xen/auto if both
> > xend/xendomains services are disabled?
>
> The xendomains service should not be disabled with xl, it is the one
> which does this work, for both xend and xl.

'xendomains' requires 'xend' service

        grep Required-Start /etc/init.d/{xend,xendomains}
                /etc/init.d/xend:# Required-Start:    $syslog $remote_fs
                /etc/init.d/xendomains:# Required-Start:    $syslog
                $remote_fs xend

a new/default install of Xen 4.2 configs the following services

        chkconfig --list | grep xen
                Note: This output shows SysV services only and does not
                include native
                systemd services. SysV configuration data might be
                overridden by native
                systemd configuration.

                xen-watchdog              0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off
                4:off  5:off  6:off
                xencommons                0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on
                4:off  5:on   6:off
                xend                      0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off
                4:off  5:off  6:off
                <============== disabled
                xendomains                0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off
                4:off  5:off  6:off
                <============== disabled

but instructions @

        http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XL#xl_Upgrade_Checklist

                Introduction
                        xl should now be used by default
                xl Upgrade Checklist
                        Disable xend startup script
                        <============================

so, how are we to ENable xendomains *and* DISable xend?

Testing the exec of xendomains manually,

        sh -x /etc/init.d/xendomains start
                + . /etc/rc.status
                ++ test -z ''
                ++ /bin/mountpoint -q /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd
                ++ test 16015 -ne 1 -a 1 -eq 1
                ++ _rc_base=
                ++ case "$0" in
                ++ _rc_base=xendomains
                ++ case "$1" in
                ++ echo 'redirecting to systemctl'
                redirecting to systemctl
                ++ test -n xendomains -a -x /bin/systemctl
                ++ exec /bin/systemctl start xendomains.service

fails to launch the Guest defined in /etc/xen/auto,

        xl list
                Name                                        ID   Mem
                VCPUs      State   Time(s)
                Domain-0                                     0   997
                4     r-----    2866.0

checking in /etc/init.d/xendomains, noting

        running_auto_names()
        {
            unset AUTONAMES[@]
            if ! dir_contains_something "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO"; then
                return
            fi
            for dom in "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO"/*; do
                get_name_from_cfg "$dom"
                AUTONAMES+=("$NM")
            done
        }

where's thatXENDOMAINS_AUTO var defined?

        grep XENDOMAINS_AUTO /etc/init.d/xendomains
                if ! dir_contains_something "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO"; then
                for dom in "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO"/*; do
                if dir_contains_something "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO"; then
                        for dom in "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO"/*; do
                if [ "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY" = "true" ]; then
                        if [ "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY" = "true" ]; then
                dir_contains_something "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO" && any_auto=1
                        for nm in "$XENDOMAINS_AUTO"/*; do

no? then, instead,

        grep XENDOMAINS_AUTO /etc/sysconfig/*
                /etc/sysconfig/xendomains:# started ones, see
                XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY below) in a loop and sent SysRq,
                /etc/sysconfig/xendomains:# (Note: This will hit all
                virtual machines, even if XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY
                /etc/sysconfig/xendomains:XENDOMAINS_AUTO=/etc/xen/auto
                /etc/sysconfig/xendomains:# files in XENDOMAINS_AUTO
                will be treated according to XENDOMAINS_SYSRQ,
                /etc/sysconfig/xendomains:XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY=true

so, it *is* already defined.

Of the four services installed, which are to be enabled for xl to
correctly autostart guests?