From: "Donald van der Wurf" <d.vander.wurf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ricardo Jesus" <ricardo.meb.jesus@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:35:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vga passthrough help needed.

One more question.
I read that for nvidia some patches need to be applied.
So in my understanding for AMD, no patches are needed. It should just work out
of the box?

Donald

2012/10/13 Donald van der Wurf < d.vander.wurf@xxxxxxxxx >

My hardware supports vt-d without a doubt because i am able to passthrough
other devices without a problem but still i can't get vga passthrough to work.

Als tried a windows 8 dom-u now.
- built the dom-u without passhtrough first. Windows 8 runs like a charm.
- then i add the pci devices. Windows detects the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000
Series and uses the built-in WDDM v1.20 driver, but cannot start the device
(Code 10) in device manager.
- i see the passthrough HD Audio device without exclamation mark.
- i see the passthrough usb devices, and can plug in a usb stick and copy files
from it.
- then i installed the current catalyst driver package 12.8 for win8, and the
vm hangs during installation.

Still i am thinking about if my hardware is the root cause? it's not on the
supported list, and i read a lot of things about finding the right hardware
combination to get it working. Especcialy on esx (didn't work for me),
xenserver (also no success) and now Xen which also doesn't seem to work.
So are there any people out there who use my hardware, and got it working?
(motherboard, cpu and gpu?).