Re: [Xen-users] Highest limit for a virtual machine with Xen 4.2 ?

Hello,

This was supposedly possible in Xen 4.0, but I believe there were limitations with regards to the kernel.

Here are some resources to check out:

[Xen 4.2 Feature List](http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.2)

In particular, the comparison list shows maximum *Host* memory supported by Xen 4.2 is 5TB, whereas Xen 4.0 only supposed 1TB.

Further down it shows both PV and HVM limitations, PV machines are limited to 512GB, but HVM can have as much as 1TB.  These figures have not changed since Xen 4.0, CPU assignment has however.

So, 1TB plus 10*4GB means a total of 1064GB, which is well within the 5TB limitation for the Host.  Provided the machine with 1TB is either Dom0 or an HVM, 1TB of assigned memory will not be a problem.

According to an archived post in 2011 using Xen 4.1, a user encountered a problem assigning more than 32GB of memory to a DomU.  This problem was claimed to be a kernel limitation, hence if you are planning to use Debian Wheezy (Testing) you will likely not encounter this problem:

Hope that helps,

~Casey