Re: [Xen-users] "Boot loader did not return any data" to make HVM to PV

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:36:06 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 00:37:31 +0000

Hi.

El 23/10/12 18:27, Flako escribió:
   What you say is true about following tutorials, I try to follow one
that "works" :). (sometimes it is difficult to follow when they are
based on different Linux)
Well, I expected a URL, to take a look on it...

When you say "consider moving to a more 'native' storage backend" What
do you mean?
What is the most native backend?
I guess "raw" (file, or device like LVM's volume) is a better term then "native". It allows you to do all sort of things with the storage outside of your DomU, like snapshots for backups, access to individual partitions, pygrub...

Normally use tap: qcow2 by the reduction of disk space, is slower than
raw but for basic use of linux root I think is acceptable.
I just searched for some more reference, and found that apparently pygrub does not supports qcow disk images:
https://wiki.heprc.uvic.ca/twiki/bin/view/Main/QCOWSupport
(they have expired SSL cert).
Maybe that's the root of your troubles.

For intensive use (database or file server) use disk phy+lvm
Bad idea to combine qcow2 phy and the way I'm doing? which option
would be better?
I use raw "phy" storage type.

Never tried to combine different storage types (actually, only worked with "file" and "phy" over lvm), but it seems to be a good idea to maintain this things homogeneous unless there is a *good* reason not to do so. The root FS on my typical Linux PV instance takes less then 2GB. Even if a qcow could cut that to the half, I believe it does not worth it.

I guess there are tools to convert from qcow2 to raw image.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov