Re: [Xen-users] xen install domU config Ubuntu

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Skippy VonDrake
<skippyvondrake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm still missing some key points of understanding regarding the
> install process.
> I know a xenified kernel is needed in addition to a hypervisor
> (tool-stack).
> But some of the steps listed to provide this are still murky to me.
>
> On page: http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Mainline_Linux_Kernel_Configs I
> followed the steps starting with "Configuring the kernel".  I built
> the kernel in my home directory and finished the install with the
> steps listed under "This is the Ubuntu way".
> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 on an amd64 box and used kernel 3.6.4 for
> those steps.
> At the time I'd thought those steps would provide all the tools
> necessary for running the dom0.
> Upon rebooting into the new kernel I did "xl list" and got an error
> regarding a missing library. The library had been installed in "lib64"
> instead of "lib".
> Reading a post by Ian Campbell I changed StdGNU.mk to use "lib" and
> did a rebuild.
>
> But dmseg did not indicate that the kernel was booting up in pv mode.
>
> So figured this must only be part of the process and downloaded the
> sources for xen-4.1.3 and followed its README. Specifically the
> "make world" and "make install" instructions.
> Here is where my murky understanding is displayed ingloriously.
> Does "make world" rebuild the kernel using the sources I have in my
> home directory! Don't see how it could. Exactly what is built by the
> "world"?
> So after those steps rebooted and am still not in "Xen" mode.
> # xl list
> libxl: error: libxl.c:56:libxl_ctx_init Is xenstore daemon running?
> failed to stat /var/run/xenstored.pid: No such file or directory
> cannot init xl context
> # /etc/init.d/xencommons start
> made no difference.

Apparently I forgot a step for grub2:
   mv -i /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen /etc/grub.d/09_linux_xen

After that all I needed was to autostart xencommons:
   sudo update-rc.d xencommons defaults 98 02

Still fuzzy regarding the 'make world' process but at least I can continue now.