[Xen-users] PCI passthrough to Windows XP

I am trying to run Windows XP in a Xen DomU virtual machine with a PCIe
device, for which there are no Linux drivers, being passed through from a
Debian Squeeze Dom0. My hardware supports virtualization and it is active in
the bios. If I run
grep -E "(vmx|svm)" --color=always /proc/cpuinfo

when I boot from the standard kernel I can see my processor supports vmx,
although when I boot the Xen kernel, vmx doesn't show up.
I have followed the setup in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Beginners_Guide. The
guide basically creates a minimal Debain Squeeze install as Dom0, a PV Debian
Squeeze DomU and a HVM Windows DomU running on an LVM volume. I have followed
the guide essentially to the letter with the only differences being my network
bridge is different and I didn't install a Debian PV DomU.
I currently have a DomU on an LVM volume that is running a fully updated
version of Windows XP with the GPLPV drivers. I am now trying to pass the PCI
device, but am running into problems. If I compare the output of lspci with
and without the PCIe card that I am trying to pass I see the following two new
entries:
05:00.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8111 PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge
(rev 21)
06:04.0 Bridge: Device 4550:9054 (rev 01)
I also see that another entry has changed its address from
06:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II
Controller (rev b2)
07:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II
Controller (rev b2)
I modified /etc/default/grub to include either
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="xen-pciback.hide=(05:00.0)(06:04.0)"

or
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="pciback.hide=(05:00.0)(06:04.0)"

and run update-grub and update-grub2 after making the change and then fully
powered down and rebooted. This doesn't appear to do anything and nothing
shows up with
xm pci-list-assignable-devices

Looking at the Xen wiki guide http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough I
have tried things like
echo 0000:05:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:05:00.0/driver/unbind
echo 0000:05:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
echo 0000:05:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

and some other stuff related to pci-stub. Sometimes my random fiddling results
in
xm pci-list-assignable-devices

listing 05:00.0 and 06:04.0. If I modify my .cfg file to include
pci = ['05:00.0', '06:04.0']

I get an error about pci-stub not owning the 05:00.0 device. If I only try and
pass 06:04.0 the DomU won't boot.
Any ideas how to get pci passthrough working?

Dan

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.