Re: [Xen-users] Xen + IPv6 + Netapp = NFS read problem

  • To: "XenU List" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: G.Bakalarski@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:05:31 +0100 (CET)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:07:21 +0000

Dear Xen'ers

Still no improvements with this issue.
Thanks all who tried to help and all who sent trash
rebukes.

After some testings a problem has been redefined a little.

Currently is is not NFS issue but network issue (tcp/udp).

So status is the following:

when we have *all* three in action, i.e."

1) Xen domU
2) IPv6 protocol
3) Netapp file server

then we have very poor transfer rates.

E.g.
NFS - 5-8MBytes/s
FTP - 11 MBytes/s
HTTP - 3-4 MBytes/s

(looks like 10MBit speed :-(  )

If one of three elements (anyone) is missing we get full 1000Mbit/s speed.
I talked to Netapp support and they suggested playing with  following
TCP options:
options ip.tcp.newreno.enable
options ip.tcp.rfc3390.enable
options ip.tcp.sack.enable

But setting them on/off did not help much (or worsen performance sometimes).

My question is if anyone knows about network issues between xen domU
and FreeBSD machines (netapp file server is FreeBSD based).
Or what should I look for (options/setting)  in xen, xen network interfaces,
tcp stack to see what's going on ... ?

Kind regards,

GB