Re: [Xen-users] vncserver and hvm reboot

Hi,

Are you using xl or xm?

I'm using xl on Xen 4.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and am suffering from a similar issue (machine getting stuck at the "Will now reboot" line), except, if I shut all the guests down using "xl shutdown" the guests do terminate properly (after about 30 seconds). If I then do a reboot on the host, it completes cleanly.

If I don't shutdown the guests, I have observed some possibly strange behaviour during the host shutdown before it hangs. In the shutdown progress I see:

> Stopping xenconsoled
> WARNING not stopping xenstored as it cannot be restarted
> Shutting down Xen domains: Linuxguest1 (shut) Linuxguest1 (shut) Linuxguest2 (shut) Linuxguest2 (shut) Windowsguest (shut) SHUTDOWN_ALL * [done]

The things I think are strange are that the two Linux guests are listed twice in the shutdown line despite each only being running once and that it blows straight through the line saying "[done]" without waiting for the guests to terminate. It then unmounts the discs before all the guests have wrapped up so they never do terminate. If I leave it, I get repeated kernel warnings that the reboot process has been delayed for more than 120 seconds. I waited over 300 seconds (the time specified in XENDOMAINS_STOP_MAXWAIT) but it doesn't time out and recover.

My xendomains file contains:

XENDOMAINS_SYSRQ=""
XENDOMAINS_USLEEP=100000
XENDOMAINS_CREATE_USLEEP=5000000
XENDOMAINS_MIGRATE=""
XENDOMAINS_SAVE=
XENDOMAINS_SHUTDOWN="--halt --wait"
XENDOMAINS_SHUTDOWN_ALL="--all --halt --wait"
XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=false
XENDOMAINS_AUTO=/etc/xen/auto
XENDOMAINS_AUTO_ONLY=false
XENDOMAINS_STOP_MAXWAIT=300

I disabled the save and restore options because I am using PCI passthrough and trying to restore a saved VM caused the machine to crash at boot.

I'm wondering if these problems are something to do with me using xl as most of the examples and references to the settings mention xm.

Do you have any suggestions why this hanging or why the "--wait" in xendomains doesn't seem to be having any effect please?

Thanks,
Paul.