Re: [Xen-users] VGA-Passthrough: Driver suggestion for Nvidia GT 520

Ben,

I tried to get my Nvidia GT 610 working in a setup similar to yours and experienced more headaches than I could count.  Ultimately, I gave up on Nvidia and replaced it with an AMD 6670 Radeon, which I bought on sale for about $50.

At present, I'm using my AMD 6670 with Ubuntu 12.10 as dom0 in conjunction with the open source driver, and it works great for watching HD movies and so forth.  (I haven't tried graphic intensive applications, such as games.)  I also tested AMD's proprietary "Catalyst" driver, but the open source driver works well enough for my purposes.

Although I'm currently using my AMD 6670 with dom0, I did test it briefly using VGA passthrough with an HVM domU and it worked just fine, but I don't recall which driver (proprietary or open source) worked better.

One quirk with the AMD 6670 Radeon:  At least when using with dom0, to get HDMI audio output working with the open source driver, I had to edit the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" line in "/etc/default/grub" to read as follows:

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

What, if anything, you'll have to do to get HDMI audio output working when using with domU, I can't say for sure.

Hope the above helps.

Best regards,
GizmoChicken