Re: [Xen-users] My failures so far. Or qemu-stable or upstream?

  • To: Casey DeLorme <cdelorme@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: ShadesOfGrey <shades_of_grey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 14:37:19 -0500
  • Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 19:39:00 +0000

On 12/08/2012 12:52 PM, Casey DeLorme wrote:
I have only ever used the upstream-qemu to test the performance of generic devices with HVM.  I don't have statistics, but I did see a reduction in boot times and IO performance was better for emulated / layered devices such as Network and Disk Drives.  However, the moment I installed PV on HVM drivers, that difference disappeared.

I am using IOMMU for passing a wireless NIC to a router, and a graphics card to a multimedia HVM.  For that reason I haven't tried building ovmf or using upstream recently.

I think this error is probably the one you should be checking, is there a `--64` flag?

gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--64’

To my understanding all these BIOS are emulated, pretty sure the host machines BIOS is unrelated.

If there is no significant benefit, I'll use the non-UEFI build for the time being then.  I'll report back on whether I finally succeed or am met, yet again, with failure.

As to whether or not there is a "--64" flag, from what I can tell, there isn't one.  Although, I'm not 100% sure what you meant by flag.  Did you mean command line option or perhaps an environment variable (e.g. CPPFLAGS)?  But it would seem to me, that "--64" is a malformed option.  The result of a typo maybe?