Re: [Xen-users] Problem booting a restored PVM

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 16:30 +0000, Terry Phelps wrote:
> I am trying to develop a procedure for backup and restore of a Xen
> PVM. I am having a problem with booting the restored machine. I'll
> tell you the symptom, and then what I'm doing to get to that symptom.
>
> When I boot the VM, it panics with a message that says:
>
> "According to mtab, /dev/xvda2 is already mounted on /sysroot"

On the face of it this doesn't look especially like a Xen specific
issue, google comes up with a bunch of instances of people having this
sort of problem without Xen. Probably your best bet is OVM support.

/etc/mtab is the place where mount stores what it has done (i.e. the
current set of mounted filesystems). A lot of distros link this
to /proc/mounts these days. Sounds as if you have backed up whatever the
state was at the time and restoring it has confused something.

Really I'd have said OVM ought to cope by clearing mtab at an
appropriate time during boot.

> Note that did NOT do anything to the MBR, nor did I install grub on
> the disk. DO I NEED TO?

Not for a PV VM, only HVM guests need an MBR.

> Can some smart Xen Person please assist me?

One thing I did spot on google was make sure your root= is the UUID of
the / not the /boot filesystem.

Ian.